Friday, March 23, 2012

St. Patrick's Day and Chicks Hatch!



     As many of you know, I was out of the state last week for the PLA conference in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  I had a blast and learned a lot.  However, I do need to thank Miss Suzanne because without her, I wouldn’t have been able to go.  She did ALL of my nine programs last week, while also dealing with the hatch of our chicks.  She informed me that by the end of last week, she was exhausted and happy to have me back!  AWW!
      As the title to this post mentions, we celebrated to “holidays” this week and decided that it was just too much to also add in the Letter of the Week.  With our two and three year olds we did a St. Patrick’s Day craft and with our four to six year olds, we did a St. Patrick’s Day craft and a chick craft.
     For St. Patrick’s day, I cut our a large, black cauldron as well as “gold” coins.  I had the kids write on the coins what they would wish for if they “caught a leprechaun.”  Some of the answers were typical; pony, kite, Batman, and a new Spongebob Pillow.  My favorite, “Safe travels for Miss Jaymi.”  How cute is that?





     The second craft, as mentioned, was made by the four to six year old class.  With the chicks hatching and Easter on its way, I thought it might be fun to see if we could turn a plastic egg in to a chick.  I seem to have misplaced my chick, though you can find the instructions on how to make this chick and many other animals here.  What do you think?



     The books that Miss Suzanne chose to read this week were all chick/hatching based.  Now, why didn’t she add a St. Patrick’s Day book?  Well, if you have ever tried to find a good read-aloud St. Patrick’s Day book, you know that one doesn’t exist… yet!  Well, perhaps does one exist, I just haven’t found it.  Hint hint… authors and publishers.. get on this now for next year!  Here are the books Miss Suzanne read instead.





     Lastly, St. Patrick’s is a great day for music.  There are some really great Celtic songs out there.  Though I did have a hard time finding an upbeat song to use the parachute with, I ended up choosing the song below.  Don’t pay attention to the message of the song, my kids never do!  Just listen to the fantastic rhythm and beat!


     Well, that seems to be all for this week.  I hope you watched the video to see the adorable baby chicks we hatched this year.  I am really sad I missed it.  I hope you tune in next week to see the letter Uu!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment