Monday, May 14, 2012

X is for... X-RAYS!


     I think this blog post should start off with an apology!  I am really sorry I have been missing for so long.  Things at the library get really hectic at the end of April and beginning of May as we start to get ourselves prepared for Summer Reading!  With that said, there is no excuse, and I promise to try much harder in making sure I continue to post each week.
     With that said, the letter Xx was a fun one.  As you can imagine, there isn’t much one can do with the letter Xx, so I chose the typical Xx is for X-Ray. As I mentioned in my last post, I have to make a little “shout out” to my mom because she takes X-Rays for a living!  My mom is absolutely fantastic, just ask anyone who has ever had an X-Ray done by her! Haha!  And since it is almost Mother's Day, how fitting to make this one for my mom!



Materials:  Index card with capital X, black crayon, four white bones cut from cardstock, and a glue stick.


Front of card


Back of card


1)    Color the capital X Black.


2)    Trace the upper and lower case Xx on the back of the card.


3)    Glue the bones on the X to make it look like an X-Ray.


     As for our second craft, well, I thought about going with xylophone.  I even tried to figure out a way to create a xylophone, but guess what?  It was too difficult.  So I found another X-Ray craft at Spell Outloud that I thought would be fun as well as a little challenging.  My kids really did enjoy drawing themselves and then using chalk to draw their bones.  Here are a couple of pictures that I borrowed online.  I can't seem to find mine around here anywhere!

This is the blank person.  I had the kids draw the person to look
exactly like them, or as close as the could get.
This is the X-Ray person.  I gave a black piece of paper to the kids
with a piece of chalk.  I then asked them to draw what they thought their
bones looked like.  We attached the two pieces with a metal brad.
     Instead of the normal two books, this week, I just went with one.  It’s kind of hard to find books about X-Rays, so You Can’t See Your Bones with Binoculars by Harriet Ziefert was a perfect pull for a one book Story Time.  Warning, though, this book is REALLY long and filled with lots of details, thus I stuck to just singing the “Bone Song” which is at the top of each page!  The kids loved being able to point to the different parts of their body and didn’t even notice we didn’t read the whole story.


     I decided to take it easy and not introduce any new music this week.  I have planned for next week, though, and promise to add a video to the blog.  It does seem to be a little lacking without a music video, doesn’t it?  Let’s see if I can find a fun X-Ray song on YouTube.  How about a Phineas and Ferb song!  I love this show!





     Well, that seems to it for this week.  It feels good to be blogging again and I promise to try my hardest to get the next few letters up!  Keep checking in as I work really hard to catch up!  Thanks.. next up is Yy!

No comments:

Post a Comment