Monday, May 14, 2012

Y is for... Yellow and Yarn!


     Still playing catch up over here at Explore to Learn.  This week, we tackle the letter Y.  I know I say this almost every week, but for some reason, I struggled with Yy.  I thought about yak (which I am sure my kids have NO IDEA what that is) as well as yo-yo, but ended up going VERY simple.  Yellow!  I love the color yellow and my library has so many yellow stickers that I thought it would be fun and simple!
Materials:  Index card with capital Y, yellow crayon, and yellow stickers.

Front of card



Back of card

 
1)    Color the capital Y yellow.

2)    Trace the upper and lower case Yy on the back of the card.


3)    Stick the yellow stickers on the letter Y.


 
     As usual, my 4-6 year olds made a second craft.  As I was just relegating myself to the fact that I was going to have to do something with a yo-yo, I came across yarn in our crafting closet!  Perfect, right?  Thus, I took some craft stick, glued them together to make a picture frame, and decided we were going to work on our fine motor skills via yarn wrapping.  Needless to say, it took my kids forever and with their short attention spans, they were not happy with the craft. Oh well, I was happy they at least tried it out.  Most of my kids took home half-finished (like my own, below) frames to complete at home.  You win some, you lose some!

 
     The first book we read this week was all about colors.  Kitten Red, Yellow, Blue by Peter Catalanotto is a great book to not only discuss various colors but occupations as well.  My kids really enjoyed this book because they were able to shout out many of the colors and occupations, while also learning new colors such as teal and chartreuse.  It is definitely a cute book and a great read-aloud.


     Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett went spectacularly with my yarn theme.  Although this book is quite long, it definitely lends itself to being cut down a bit.  I did omit a couple of pages without losing any of the story.  The kids were able to follow along and understand that the little girl had a magic box of yarn.  They enjoyed guessing who the little girl might sew a sweater for next.


 
     I promised last week I would present a new song.  Well, if you haven’t heard of the amazingness that is Jim Gill, let me be the first to introduce you to his music.  My kids love his upbeat music and “The Color Game” is no exception.

     Ok, I have done it!  I have gotten two blog posts up in the same day!  I am making up some ground for sure!  Tune in again soon to see if I can get to Z.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment